When it’s working well, technology can streamline operations, increase productivity, and support your business objectives. But as we become more reliant on technology, its failures can cause major issues.
Want to be proactive about your company’s technology? Check out our list of 8 major tech issues and how to prevent them to get started.
Issue #1: Failed compliance that relates to technology requirements
- Regular vulnerability scans
- Keeping IT systems updated
- Ongoing monitoring
- Mapping security controls to compliance regulations in order to identify noncompliance and document compliance
Read our blog post about the top 5 concerns companies should know in 2021 for more information about failed compliance and how to avoid it.
Issue #2: Infected devices, which underperform, become difficult to use, and present a security risk
- Antivirus and antimalware software
- Malware detection (we recommend Malwarebytes)
Read our blog post about computer viruses and malware for more information about this threat and its warning signs.
Issue #3: Weak passwords and insecure password practices
- Multi-factor authentication
- Longer and more complicated passwords
- Unique passwords for each user and each account
- New passwords every 6 months
- Using a password manager
Read our blog post about the top 5 concerns companies should know in 2021 for more information about password security issues and best practices.
Issue #4: Insecure network perimeter due to multiple devices and locations accessing company information
- Multi-factor authentication
- Using Cisco Umbrella on devices that access company data
- Keeping antivirus software up to date on devices that access company data
- Requiring devices that access company data to be encrypted
- Using mobile device management software (we recommend Microsoft Intune) to monitor and manage any devices that access company data
Read our blog post about the challenges of a distributed work environment to learn more about this issue, and read our blog post about the benefits of mobile device management for more information about this solution.
Issue #5: Insider threats from current and past employees
- Limit employee access
- Use separation of duties
- Establish clear security processes
- Control onboarding and offboarding
- Utilize data monitoring and auditing technology
- Use a Data Loss Prevention program
Read our blog post about the top 5 concerns companies should know in 2021 for more information about insider threats and how to combat them.
Issue #6: Data loss, whether due to human error, cyberattack, or natural disaster
- Multiple backups (daily, weekly, and monthly)
- Multiple locations to store backups
- Daily monitoring
- Alerts for failed backups
- Backing up files as well as program file data
Read our blog post about multiple backups for more information about data backup issues and best practices.
Issue #7: Inefficient IT infrastructure, which can negatively impact productivity
- Invest in an effective firewall, wireless system, and switch (we recommend Cisco Firepower and Cisco Meraki)
- Get an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) for the switch and surge protectors for computers and other tech
Read our blog post about easy IT fixes for small businesses for more information about building a better IT infrastructure.
Issue #8: Physical damage to tech equipment from storms or accidents
- Regular backups
- Surge protectors
- Storm prep, such as unplugging power cables and power strips, taking home essential computers, and moving tech away from windows, doors, and floors
Read our blog post about creating an IT hurricane preparedness plan for more information about keeping tech safe from storms.
Need Help? Contact Guardian Computer
Let our team of experts handle your IT, so you can stay focused on your business. We’re ready to help with all of these major tech issues and many more.
Contact us today to learn how Guardian Computer can help you make the most of technology.